Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hooked on ONE author

I often get hooked on one writer. I read one of their books, love it and I just HAVE to read everything else they’ve ever written. So, off I go to the library, check out the book and sit down in my favourite chair to be entertained. However, entertained isn’t always the case. Often when I read an author’s different books to close to each other, I get disappointed. It is probably not the book in itself; it is just me being tired of their way of writing. My solution: a system, where I write down all the books and authors I want to read, and save them for later. The list is long of writers and books I want to read, some of them are Alexander McCall-Smith, Stephen King, Philippa Gregory, Antony Beevor and the list goes on….
The Swedish author Kajsa Ingemarsson is one of the many writers I have on my list. After reading one of her books, I wanted to throw myself into all her other books, But I stopped myself and waited. It took me a couple of months before I picked up her next book and it was as good as the first one. Now I have to wait another couple of weeks (at least) before I pick up her third book.

To read one writer or one genre is good in a way, you feel safe and know what you get. But there is also the feeling of reading the same book over and over again. I think it is important to every now and then, take a chance and throw yourself into the unknown. Pick up an author or genre you haven’t read before. (I know I have used those same words, not long ago, but I really believe it) Explore the unknown, or simply do like my sister, join a book club and see what new books they will send you each month.
Josefine

My recommendations: Small yellow lemons by Kajsa Ingemarsson

No comments: