Thursday, May 29, 2008

CD books II - voices

Lately, I have listened to more CD books, especially when I bike to and from work. I now realize how much the voice of the reader affects the story. One of my favourite books to listen to was Rikard Wolff and Hamadi Khemiri reading Montecore a unique tiger by Jonas Hassen Khemiri. This book was probably more entertaining to listen to than to read on its own (I never read the hardcopy).

Right now I listen to Zadie Smith’s book On Beauty. In Swedish it is recorded by Johan Rabeus, he also recorded the Swedish version of The ultimate hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy by Dougals Adams. When I listen to On Beauty, I hear Arthur Dent and the other characters in Adams' story, but now they are in new costumes and live in Smith’s world. A voice, no matter what it actually says, can really create a picture before me and now I have to alter that picture, it is a strange feeling.
Josefine

My recommendations: Call it whatever you want by Marjaneh Bakhtiari (another good CD book from my latest collection)

No comments: