Sunday, February 7, 2010

Around the world: Argentina

A contribution to my Around the World posts

In my quest to expand my reading from Swedish and English speaking authors I found The Tango Singer by Tomás Eloy Martinez. It is a novel that takes you to a hot, dancing, loving South America and Argentina. The American college student Bruno, goes to Buenos Aires and becomes captivated by an elusive tango singer who has never been recorded or released a record but still holds the whole City’s tango lovers in his grip. He shows up without notice, without a stage and sings before he disappears again. It is the feeling in his voice that makes everyone stop whatever they are doing and just enjoy his voice.
It is a well-written book that makes me want to pack my bags and go to Argentina and sit in a bar, listen to tango and watch them dance. Martinez has managed to weave together the story about a city with the destiny of a man who has lost his belief in humans a long time ago.
Josefine

My recommendations: the Cellist of Sarajevo by Stephen Galloway

No comments: