Thursday, January 5, 2012

The year is off to a good start

Happy New Year!

It is always nice to start off the new year with a really good book. The Confession by John Grisham has kept me on my toes these first couple of days of the new year. The book has an intriguing, thought-provoking plot and is well written.
Donté Drumm was convicted for a murder on a fellow school mate in East Texas in 1999. Nine years later with all avenues for appeal exhausted, an execution date is set. This is when, several hundred miles away in Kansas, a man walks in to a church office and admits his guilt of the murder to the minister. Reverend Schroeder sees the faintest glimmer of hope, it seems as if Drumm can be saved. If only it was that simple.

It was my first Grisham and with his reputation, I was expecting the best and of course he delivered. It is the kind of book that makes you think not only about the death penalty in the U.S. but crime and punishment around the world as well. It also thought me much about the legal system in the U.S. And the culture of guns in a state where most people own one and see it as their right to use it if they feel threatened. It is a scary thought.

Josefine

Title: The Confession Author: John Grisham ISBN: 978-1-8460-5715-1

2 comments:

Moe said...

Thanks! I needed a book idea for my SIL. Happy New Year!

Josefine said...

Hope you enjoy it too, Moe.