Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Battle of Stalingrad

Stalingrad was the first Antony Beevor book I bought, in Gothenburg 2002 as I duly noted on the first page, since then I have bought most of Beevor's books on the Second World War, which I now have unread in my bookshelf. It took me ten years to get to Stalingrad but now I have finally arrived.
The book is filled with detailed reconstructions of what happened during the prolonged battle, but what Beevor succeeds with the best is to balance the information from both the Germans and the Russians.
There are some parts where I think Beevor's conclusions are too widely drawn especially concerning the feelings of the people involved. However, for the most part this is a good book rich in details and facts.

Josefine

Title: Stalingrad Author: Antony Beevor ISBN: 978-91-89442-36-9

No comments: