Sunday, August 19, 2012

Stereotypes - The American South

Back again. Master Thesis is handed in and the Olympics is over for another quadrennium. I have not been idle during the time I have been off and in the coming weeks, a selection of the books I have read will be discussed. Join in the discussion in the comment box below.
I have recently read two book about the American South and some of the stereotypes that exists about that part of the USA. The books, A redbird Christams by Fannie Flagg and Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson are both very well written and the stereotypes are not as noticeable unless you look for them. Both books have shown me that just because it highlights some of the stereotypes doesn't necessarily mean that the book in itself becomes a cliché, it is possible to write a good book anyway.
Josefine

Title: A redbird at Christmas Author: Fannie Flagg ISBN: 978-0-099-49048-7
Title: Gods in Alabama Author: Joshilyn Jackson ISBN: 978-0-340-89668-6

No comments: