Sunday, July 8, 2007

Bookcrossing

I am now on a three-week vacation from one of my jobs. Wonderful. I hope this I will give me some time to go through the pile of books laying on my nightstand waiting to be read.

I am always interested in finding out what other people read. This is where you often get the best suggestions. I often ask family and friends. Another thing I do is to look at the return shelf at my local library. There are usually a lot of crime novels, which is not really my favourite genre to read, but during the school year there is always a lot of great nonfiction.

Another great concept is bookcrossing, which is a way to find and send out books into the world. The word even has its own entry in the Concise Oxford English Dictionary. “the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise," Concise Oxford English Dictionary. At Bookcrossing.com you can even track the books you find or the books you released.
When I backpacked trough Europe last summer, my friend and I did our own bookcrossing. We both started with several books. On the road, we left the ones we had and picked up new at hostels, cafés and at other places. I once picked up a paperback from a trashcan at a train station in Spain. I was desperate for something to read and my friend spotted it. Without thinking twice I reached into the trashcan and grabbed it. People at the station starred at me like I was crazy but I didn’t care much. I was desperate for some new reading material and I thought it was a waste to throw away a perfectly good book. No worries, the trashcan was empty except for the book and an empty pizza box.
Josefine

My recommendations: The return of the dancing master by Henning Mankell.

No comments: