Monday, July 16, 2007

New Technology – CD Books

Despite declining user statistics at libraries, there is one product which is increasingly sought after – Books on tape. People have become hooked on CD books, and so have I. Technology has taken us from the old large cassettes to the more compact CDs and MP3 files. They have become so popular that in some cases, they are now released at the same time as the printed version.

I bike and use public transportation a lot, and for those times, instead of listen to music in my old portable CD player I listen to a book. I am sure that there are several commuters who can relate to this. It is so easy and it makes the time pass quickly.
Right now I read/listen to Wilhelm Mobergs classic epic Emigrant. It is a series I have wanted to read for many years, but there never seems to be any opportunity to do it. This is why I was so happy to find it on CD at my local library.
But there are also times when I regret that I borrowed the CD instead of the printed version. One time I borrowed Patricia Cornwells book Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed. It was a book that was difficult to comprehend when only listening, I wish that I could have seen the words to actually get a grip of what she meant and how she came to the conclusions she did.

I believe CD books are just another transition away from printed books, which brings good and bad things. Next thing is the e-book and the P.O.D. (print on demand), which by the way something the Rejecter discusses in her blogg. Please send me you comments, on CD books vs. printed books and where you think this is going. I love to hear from you.
Josefine

My recommendations: Michael Shaara. The Killer Angels. The CD book narrated by George Guidall who does an awesome job.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.