Saturday, July 11, 2009

Nine Parts of Desire

Since I read March by Geraldine Brooks I have been trying to find more books by her, and I found it in her non-fiction book Nine Parts of Desire about the women in the Middle East. It was an interesting book and Brooks have no doubt great knowledge about the countries and women she writes about. However, I can’t help but feel that this is book is somewhat outdated and a newer version should be published. Much has happened since the book was published in 1995, especially the spread of Islamic fundamentalism, which of course gives implications for women (and men as well).

On another point, it would be interesting to read about Muslim women as refugees in western countries. Perhaps any of you have read a similar book, let me know.
Josefine


My recommendations: The broken pictures by Azar Mahloujian

No comments: