Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Around the world: Venice

Here comes a new section with books that reveals part of the world that you won’t find in ordinary guidebooks.


Heading out first is The City of Fallen Angels, which is about Venice. An ordinary touristy city with its famous picture perfect tourist attractions, but as I found out in the book there is so much more to the city.
The city with its many canals filled with deep intrigues and mysteries. There is something with Venice and when you get to follow John Berendt and his experiences around the city after the great fire on Gran Teatro La Fenice you see some of its splendor. The book shows a different Venice, an ordinary city, except for that shine that always seems to shine over Venice and gives it its mystique.
When I finished the book, I immediately decided to revisit the city again and this time I would make sure to look past the old facades and the somewhat intruding touristy parts. Hopefully I will see some of the true magic of Venice and if I look carefully I might even be able to see the fallen angels. Josefine

My recommendations: Villa Serena, falling in love Italian style by Domenica de Rosa

No comments: