Thursday, September 29, 2011

Romance is not dead

Attended an author event the other night. Heidi Rice who writes romance novels for Mills & Boon came to my local library to talk about creating heroes and heroines in a romance novel in preparation for the competition Mills & Boon currently holds. New Voices is a chance for unknown romance writers to write their first chapter of their novel and publish it at Mills & Boon's website for comment and feedback from other readers as well as the chance to get their novel published by Mills & Boon.
I am not a big fan of romance myself and must say that before Monday evening I had not read anything from that genre. However, I do think it is educational to attend lectures of all sorts, after all it is one way of learning the craft of writing and it also gave me some inspiration to challenge myself and put together a first chapter of my own, if nothing else to see if I can do it. I am quite excited about my story actually. It is not ready to be uploaded to the site yet, but I know I have to hurry before the deadline at 5.00 pm on October 10.
And if you do like reading romance or just want to have a go on the genre, there is a free e-book to be downloaded or you can get a paper version sent home for you.
Josefine

No comments: