Monday, November 21, 2011

Fairytale Début

I know it has been a lot Miranda Dickinson lately, but that is since I found out I would attend her book launch I have been quite giddy about the whole thing and promptly got to the library to borrow her previous books.
I finished Fairytale of New York, her first novel and I must say it was a nice début. It had some flaws that I think will be ironed out in her next books. I am impressed by her extensive knowledge of flowers and how she made the arrangements and bouquets come to life on the pages, you could really see those flowers as the recipients saw them.
However, my favourite part of the book was probably when Rosie Duncan spends Christmas alone, Dickinson managed to get the feeling just right. It wasn't the Bridget Jones “all by myself” alone feeling or a defiant “Î will spend Christmas alone because I am an independant woman and I can.” It was just a simple thing of a person spending a day alone, not lonely. Something very important for someone who often feels the same way. You can be alone without being lonely.
I am looking forward to read her other two books as well and of course looking forward to watch the progress of her fourth book, out in the autumn next year.
Josefine

Title: Fairytale of New York Author: Miranda Dickinson ISBN: 978-1-94756-165-7

1 comment:

Karen said...

I haven't read any of her novels before, but will give this a try after reading your review :o)