Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Duchess of Devonshire - The book and the Film

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened up The Duchess by Amanda Foreman. I had received it from a friend years ago and it had ended up on the bookshelf without me actually having looked through it. I just assumed that it was a novel based on the life of the Duchess of Devonshire, I also had a vague recollection that it had been made into a film. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be a very well-written and researched biography of the Duchess Georgiana of Devonshire. As with many other biographies, The Duchess is riddled with names and if you're not familiar with the period, it is difficult to keep them all straight, but I also think that is part of the genre of biographies and you have to take what you can get out of it and not be to uptight about remembering everything, especially if it's a book read for pleasure and not for an assignment.
Now it's on to watch the film as well and I hope it is as good as the book.
Josefine

Title: The Duchess Author: Amanda Foreman ISBN: 978-0-00-728575-4

No comments: