Monday, June 4, 2012

A Pretty Cover doesn't make for a Pretty Book

A Vintage Affair by Isabelle Wolff is just OK, it's nice if you like clothes, most of it went way over my head, but I assume Wolff is well researched on the topic. What did bother me about the book was Wolff's desire to put ever tiny bit of research she did into the book. Details about the clothes business is understandable, that's part of what the book is about, but the passage at the vineyard read straight out of a book on wine making and not necessary to add in such detail as it wasn't essential to the plot.
Then without revealing too much, I can't quite see the parallel between giving up your friend to the Nazis in France and getting into a relationship with your best friend's love interest. Despite it's beautiful cover and great reviews it was not a book to my taste.
Josefine

Title: A Vintage Affair Author: Isabel Wolff ISBN: 978-0-00-7245826

No comments: